Monday, October 18, 2010

Blog Post # 8

Richard Miller:  This is how we dream parts 1 and 2

I really found part one of this video okay and I felt like I knew a lot of what he was saying.  I grew up in a society that uses technology day in and day out.  The classrooms that I have been in since I was in school always had some type of technology.  The older generations did not have the means of using technology like we do and if they wanted some information they had to go to the library and look for it in a book.  They also had to hand write their notes whereas we are able to use our computers to take notes in class and this makes things a lot easier.  I think that technology has greatly helped out our society and will continue to grow day in and day out.

Part 2 of this video covers how technology is used around the world and how they use it to their benefits.  Technology can help someone find out things they didn't know were happening like wale watching and anything about science.  I think that if technology continues to grow like it is people around the world will have a better idea of how others live and work in other societies.

EDM310is Different

This is videos about different things we can do our personal videos on and I really enjoyed watching some of the video's.  We were asked to create a video on anything that we wanted to do and I choose to do a reading of a children's book to teach the alphabet and I really enjoyed doing this.  My favorite video that I watched was the "Chipper Series" I found this so true to college students because I know there are many times that I have waited to the last minute to do a project or do homework.  I only hope that my short movie is as good as the movie that I viewed and  I know that there is some much more I can learn. I also watched EDM 310 for dummies and found this video very entertaining and I actually learned something from this video.  I think any video on EDM 310 is very helpful and can help students to learn what to do.


Critiques of SmartBoards


I did not know that there were so many arguments about the use of smartboards in the classrooms.  I felt like the arguments were valid on both sides.  I have personally used the SmartBoards in some classrooms and in all honesty the kids knew how to use the board better than me.  I loved using the smartboards for many reasons but I guess the number one reason would be that it's interactive and lets the kids work with technology.  The second biggest reason that I like SmartBoards is that they are clean and you don't have to buy markers or chalk or anything to work with the SmartBoard.  I liked the teacher that had a blog set up to help in the use of smartboards and I think this will be very helpful for future teachers like myself.  
   The people who tend to hate the use of smartboards I feel like do not have to training in how to use them and they get frustrated because they don't know how to use them.  Some teachers are set in their ways and don't like change as big as a SmartBoard is and they refuse to learn how to use it because they don't believe in it.  I personally will be happy to use a SmartBoard in my classroom and teacher others how to use it.  

2 comments:

  1. Hi Brittney!

    Your post was very well written, and I'd have to say I agreed to a lot of what you had to say. Richard Miller's video was very true! Instead of going to the library to do research, most of our generation begin at Google. I honestly can't remember the last time I turned in a hand written paper.

    As for EDM 310 is different, I also liked the Chipper Series. Jamie Lynn did a very good job in acting, while she delivered the important message.

    And now for the SmartBoards. Like you, I think SmartBoards are a useful piece of technology. Children love to be interactive, and this is a good opportunity to allow them to do that and learn. As for the people who were against SmartBoards, I just can't seem to agree with them. Yes, they may be a bit pricey, but there are so many benefits to them that they outweigh that big price tag.

    Well I enjoyed reading your post! Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Brittney!

    I liked that you referenced your short movie in this post. You said, "I only hope that my short movie is as good as the movie that I viewed and I know that there is some much more I can learn" and that was just the motivation I needed to watch it for myself to see if it was indeed as good as The Chipper Series. I have a few questions, but first I'd like to say that you picked a great book to read, you were very articulate, and as a whole you completely fulfilled all the requirements! My question for you though, is this: What did you like about the chipper video? Did you incorporate any of those elements that you appreciated in the video you created?

    Learning is about self assessment and this is where it begins! Way to go with your post, btw. I agree with Amani in regards to your post. However, I think Smartboards are far too costly in money and the simple ratio of time invested in lesson planning on them versus quality of lesson outcome.

    Anthony

    ReplyDelete