Sunday, September 12, 2010

Blog Post # 3

1. Michael Wesch: A Vision of Students today

      I really felt that this video captured most of what my college experience have been.  There has been many times that I have bought expensive books and never opened them and there has been times where I don't take a single note.   Also I have had classes in which I am only on facebook not paying attention because the teacher is lecturing straight from notes and he or she is reading word for word. You can look around a boring classroom and see that not many students are paying attention to the teacher when they are just lecturing but you get a class involved with using technology and things dramatically shift.  
    I feel like when a professor or teacher gets technology and hands on technology involved I personally learn better.  I don't think sitting in a desk listening to the teacher talk or lecture or give examples that are straight from the book helps me at all.  I get bored and I do other things whether it be doodling or getting on facebook, or even text messaging.  I felt that this video really explained how we as students feel sometimes when we are in class just sitting there and having over 100 students next to us.

2. It's not about the technology by Kelly Hines

  I enjoyed reading this blog post by Kelly Hines.  I agree when she talks about technology and learning it in the 21st century.  Our children are going to learn things that we never knew were possible and I like that she say's technology is important in the classroom but it shouldn't be the focus or the first thing learned because children need other types of stimulation besides technology.  They need hands on learning and using their brains and they don't need to relay solely on technology to get things done.
  I liked that she gave list of what teachers need in the newer age of things.  I think that we as teachers should know about all the different resources that are available to us and we should know how to use them.  I do highly agree with her when she say's learning will not look the same to all students or teachers and that no matter what the bottom line should be to learn.
  I read the part about teachers needing to learn how to use technology or our time and money will go to waste.  I think that if your not willing to learn and open your mind to technology then your wasting valuable time and money.  We do not need to learn everything but I feel that we need to know some about using technology in our classrooms.  Kelly's blog was very insightful and I connected with a lot of what she as trying to say because I want to learn about ways to use technology in my classroom and better my students.  Knowing about technology can better satisfy the needs of the "future" students of the world.

3. Karl Fisch: It's Okay To Be A Technology Illiterate Teacher

  I really enjoyed reading his blog post and learning how other people view technology.  He said that teachers do not have to know technology in and out but they do need to have some kind of understanding of it.  We teach our students by doing things with them so, if we are teaching by doing then learning technology should be done the same way.  I agree when he says things about what our students need to have in order to be successful in the 21st. century.  Technology is becoming more and more involved in our every day lives whether we want it  to or not.
     I think that teaching or learning technology should be apart in every future teachers training.  I don't mean that a teacher should be amazing at using technology when he or she graduates but, they should know how to teach and use the different kinds of technology that are out there.  Students who will be graduating in 2020 will know more about technology then we could ever dream of knowing.  Also more and more schools are using technology in the classroom by allowing the teachers to use smartBoards or other programs like that.  From my personal experiences in the classroom I found that the students that I was observing knew more about using the smartboard than I did and at that point I knew I needed to do whatever it took to learn about the smartboard and all of the different technologies out there. I know now that I am not illiterate when it comes to technology but I can still benefit from knowing more about technology as it progress.

4. Gary Hayes Social Media Count

     I really really liked looking at this count because it's amazing to think that people are using technology at such an outstanding rate.  It affects me as a future teacher because those numbers will probably triple by the time I am teaching and I know things will change and the face of technology will change.  Things that I use today may not be so new when I am teaching.  Technology will continue to grow and according to this chart it will grow at rates we never imagined.  All I can do is prepare myself the best way I can and I will continue to learn by doing.




  

  

1 comment:

  1. You, and Dr. Wesch, have made a offered indictment, of the practices of educational institutions and their teachers. And if I am correct your negative evaluation will either bring about enough change for institutions to survive or they will out of business - as educational institutions - within 15 years. I will have a post about this soon. Watch for it.

    Yes, the bottom line is to be a life long learner. If I am correct you better be a life long learner. And you better be prepared to change jobs. Many times!

    The counter? the rate will more than triple. And there will be hundreds of new entries.

    ReplyDelete